FCT MINISTER VISITS, CONSOLES WITH DEI DEI FLOOD VICTIMS

Posted on by admin

 …Appeals to residents to move away from waterways.

Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Malam Muhammad Musa Bello has said that illegal structures and refuse dumps that obstruct the natural pathway of water in the FCT must be removed to prevent any future flood disaster in the Territory.

The FCT Minister made this statement when he paid a visit to Dei Dei in Abuja on Tuesday, July 18, 2017, to commiserate with the victims and assess the extent of damage caused by the flood disaster that claimed three lives in the area.

A family of three, comprising Malama Rahmatu Abubakar, 30, her son Yusuf, 4 and junior sister Maryam Nuhu, 26 met their untimely death when a sudden midnight flood submerged the house in which they slept. Unfortunately the husband, Malam Abubakar had been away on a business trip when death came knocking in his household. Many houses and properties were also lost in the unfortunate incident.

Bello who was accompanied by the Bwari Area Council Chairman, Musa Dikko, the Etsu of Bwari as well as the Director of FCT NEMA, Abbas Idris said government will have no choice than to remove the structures that encumber the natural flow of water to prevent flooding as well as protect lives, properties and investments of other residents.

The Minister said, “We have spoken to the community; we have also informed them that water will naturally always find its way and we are now just in the middle of July. We still have a lot of rain coming and we have advised them on what they need to do. From what I’ve received of their feedback, I think they have understood the need for all those that are residing on the direct natural water course, there is a need for them to move and then of course to clean the surrounding area, so that when water comes back as it will definitely do, it will have a natural way of flowing.

Rafinpa the trail of river traversing Gwarimpa, through neighbouring communities across Dei Dei and Dakwa communities had overflowed its banks to wreak havoc in the affected communities on that fateful night, the second in 15 years.

Fielding questions with media men, Hon. Musa Dikko, gave assurances that Bwari Council was planning a relief intervention for the affected persons and will put measures in places to stop the indiscriminate construction of shanties on water ways.

 

Cosmas Uzodinma
Chief Press Secretary
FCT Minister

About the Author

Leave A Response